Surgical qualifications and specialist roles
Following extensive training in Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic surgery, I have continued my professional development through research, advanced courses and involvement with regional and national Plastic Surgery and other organisations dedicated to the highest standards, learning and innovation.
Training and qualifications
- Qualified as a doctor in 1984, gaining an additional Honours Bachelor of Science degree in Anatomy, at the Royal London Hospital Medical College
- Became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS) after a further four years of training and an examination in surgery
- Gained a Masters degree from Oxford University in 1994 for research in the field of 3D laser imaging for outcome assessment in facial reconstructive surgery
- Undertook Higher Surgical Training in Plastic, Reconstructive, Hand and Aesthetic Surgery at specialist centres in Oxford, Bristol, Toronto, Roehampton and Stoke Mandeville
- Awarded the Specialist FRCS (Plast) qualification in 1997 having passed the intercollegiate fellowship exam in Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, which led to being listed on the General Medical Council (GMC) Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery
- Appointed a Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon in the NHS in 1997.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England - FRCS (Plast)
- GMC Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery (Number: 2920254)
- Full member of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
- Member of the British Medical Association (BMA)
Research and audits
I have been involved in research throughout my career, to learn and develop my own knowledge and contribute to improvements in technique, treatments and outcomes. I also regularly review outcomes at team meetings and actively audit my results and compare them against national and international standards to ensure they compare very favourably. Research and audit topics include breast surgery, skin cancer, prominent ear correction, hypospadias, cleft surgery, 3D facial imaging, burns, hand and lower limb surgery.
Trainer and appraiser
I enjoy training and mentoring trainee surgeons in my NHS team and was Training Director at Stoke Mandeville Hospital when the unit was ranked first in a national assessment of plastic surgery training. I am also involved in the national selection and appraisal of specialist Plastic Surgery registrars, the appointment of new consultant Plastic Surgeons and the appraisal and revalidation of my fellow NHS consultants.
For a full list of the surgical procedures I provide click here.
To view before and after patient photographs click here.
Specialist professional roles
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST
- Clinical Governance/Audit Lead, Plastic Surgery, Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust (2002-2010)
- Plastic Surgery Representative on the Cleft Multi-Disciplinary Team, Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust (1997-2012)
- Mortality Lead, Plastic Surgery Unit, Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust (2015-present)
- Lead Clinician, Plastics/Dermatology, Stoke Mandeville Hospital (1999-2003)
- Invited Chair, Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP) and Record of in-training assessment (RITA) Committee for Plastic Surgery Training (2013-2016)
- Lead Clinician Skin Cancer, Thames Valley Cancer Network (TVCN) Specialist Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) (2010-present)
- Plastic Surgery Lead Skin Cancer, Local Skin Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Teams (LSMDT) Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust and Milton Keynes Hospital and for the Specialist Skin Cancer Multi-disciplinary Team (MDT) for TVCN (East) (2000-present)
- Deputy Chair and Audit Lead, Thames Valley Cancer Network Skin Cancer Provider-based Operational Delivery Group (PODG) (2008-present)
- Plastic Surgery Thames Valley Cancer Network Representative Skin Cancer PODG (2000-present)
Education and training
- Plastic Surgery Specialist Training Committee (STC) Representative/Educational Lead for Buckinghamshire hospitals and subsequently STC member and Chair as RSPA (2006-2016)
- Assigned Educational Supervisor and Clinical Supervisor for Specialist Trainees in Plastic Surgery (1997-present)
- Consultant and Trainee Appraiser (2001-present)
- Invited lecturer, peer and para-medical groups
- Chair of Communications and Public Education Committee (2013-2016)
- Council Member (2011-2016)
- Professional Standards Committee member (2012-2016)
- BAPRAS Representative on the British Association of Dermatologists (BAD) National BCC and SCC Skin Cancer Guidelines Update Committees (2013-present)
- National Advisor and Committee Member, Skin Cancer National Cancer Intelligence Network (2011-present)
ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF ENGLAND
- South Central Regional Professional Advisor (RSPA), Plastic Surgery (2008-2016)
- Plastic Surgery RSPA member, South Central Professional Affairs Board (2008-2016)
- Invited external assessor to consultant appointment committees (2002-present)
OXFORD AND WESSEX DEANERIES
- Plastic Surgery Training Committee Representative (2006-present) and Invited Chair, Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP) and Record of in-training assessment (RITA) Committee for Plastic Surgery Training (2013-2016)
- Plastic Surgery Representative, Medical Advisory Committee, BMI Chilterns, Paddocks and Shelburne Hospitals (2002-2012)
- Plastic Surgery Representative, Medical Advisory Committee, BMI Saxon Clinic (2006-2011)